Monday, November 8, 2010

Assignment 3 - Composition

Composition.  This can be tricky I guess but more than that, a lot of fun.  I loved trying to think of places to find interesting patterns, backgrounds, and natural frames that would create a great picture.   I didn't quite have time to drive around to these places......but I've tucked them away in that brain of mine.  One day they'll be put to good use.

But here are a few that I practiced for this week's assignment.

And I know you talked about not cutting off at joints Brooke, but if I didn't cut off at my little guy's joints, it cut off my little girl's joints.  That was a bit tricky for me.

1/64s
f/4.5
ISO: 400


And then darn it, I really metered wrong with these pictures.  It was just a tad too light, so I washed out their faces a bit.  Especially my little girl.  I should have taken it down a notch, just in case.  Because it was hard to see the back image (to verify) while it was semi-sunny outside.

1/125s
f/4.5
ISO: 400


 And the other night for dinner, we had these sweet pork tacos with cilantro lime slaw on top.  The perfect subject.  Funny how there was no whining or bribing involved, like with those monkeys above.  They held perfectly still.  Haha!
1/64s
f/4.5
ISO: 400


And in case you were wondering, they were delicious!
1/500s
f/4.5
ISO: 400

4 comments:

  1. Ashley!

    My goodness I just LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE these shots! Great job!

    Shot #1. Don't worry about joints here. I think this is a special case where the crop is modern and very intentionally cropping for just legs and feet. I wasn't thinking it was a "joint crop" at all. Especially with the pattern that we are drawn to, and their cute legs act as lines drawing you down to those super cute feet!

    LOVE that you put it in black and white too. I think it helps those pattern stand out and not compete with each other

    2nd shot: I don't think it looks too light at all--but I tend to be a bright shooter and always over expose a tad for personal style and preference. So to me, its exactly where I'd probably have it myself. Love the texture, love the leading lines of the fence drawing attention to the subjects, love the interaction between the two, love the colors of the clothing popping out against the monotone background. SUPER GREAT moment! Wahoo!

    Food pics: YUM! These look like totally professional food photography shots! I'm so super impressed! Love the natural light, the clean styling of the images with simple plate pattern and background, love the bright purple color with everything else, love the styling on the last shot with a bite eaten! SO SO SO GREAT!

    And, truly, yummy looking. I might just need the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Ashley, you outdid yourself this week. Wonderful photos - love them all (the bite from the taco is so tempting!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Brooke, I think the lighting in the second shot is perfect. And the food looks so delicious! You're going to have to share the recipe with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the black and white shot--so creative! The food looks delicious...I love the color! Great job!

    ReplyDelete